Popup Dungeon is a roguelike dungeon crawler for PC that lets players create any weapon, any ability, any enemy, and any character they can imagine. It’s a papercraft version of an enchanted board game with tactical, turn-based RPG gameplay in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics. It can be challenged alone or through hot seat or online multiplayer.
The game play is something like Final Fantasy Tactics or X-Com meets a Dungeons and Dragons board game. It's turn-based and the movement is handled on a simple grid. While Popup Dungeon will not be "twitch-based" or require lightning reflexes, we hope to make the action as lively as possible, with fast-paced, decisive combat.
It features all manners of game mechanics you can expect from games like these, and maybe even some you don't expect! The extensive customization and user-creation system will allow players to put nearly any strategy they can imagine into effect.Popup Dungeon released on Steam on August 12, 2020.
- Roguelike: permanent death, quick gains, procedural dungeons, and a mixture of handcrafted and procedurally generated loot
- Tactical Turn-Based RPG: fast-paced, strategic game play
- Infinitely Extensible: Users can easily create: weapons, abilities, characters, and enemies.
- Papercraft: We hand-fold every pixel to ensure every dungeon is fresh and lively for you!
- Multiplayer: Local co-op, with online as an upcoming feature
- Flexible Party Size: Dungeon Crawl alone or with a party
- Variable Challenges: Choose the dungeon crawl that's right for your schedule, from single-seaters to infinite descents.
- Persistent Gains: Charms awarded by The Wizard after a run are permanent and give every character under your control a bonus. They are quite magical. Collect and combine them to achieve curious effects.
- See updates on Kickstarter